Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

City Sprawl--Problematic for All

For the Southeastern Council, I'm researching/reading a number of magazines and newspapers relating to innovative grantmaking and nonprofit activity. However, I really like reading, so I tend to just read every article and side-feature (it gets really bad on the Internet--one site always leads to another, until researching recently-created endowments and fiduciary trusteeship turns into a sensational outbreak of avian flu, the hilarious games on Greenpeace's website, or the newly formatted "Thief and the Cobbler").

Back to the point--here's a link to one of those articles that caught my attention and reaffirmed I am not alone in the vicious world of Atlanta traffic:

Page three,
"Affordable Housing and the American Dream"

P.S.
Hm...I may not have to battle traffic for a while. Behind the SECF's building on Hurt Plaza and also inside the parking garage (housing MY car!!) has occurred a toxic chemical spill--no one is to leave or enter for a while. *Sigh* Crazy city.

P.P.S.
Facts about the Atlanta commute (I'm really stuck on this topic, I realize--but it's an unavoidable, torturous, integral part of the city):

Daytime population swells by 62% each day by commuters-Washington, DC, is the only American city that beats that daily percentage

90% of Atlanta commuters drive to work for an average of 30 minutes

Working Atlanta families spend 2/3 of their income on housing and transportation combined--the national average is 50%

The bottomline is no matter who you are, getting around the city is taking more work and more money. The growing traffic is a definite deterrent for tourists (I have many friends who won't visit, sole reason being the terrifying roads and drivers--ok, that's the reason they give me :) ); and not only that, the infrastructure is constantly in need of repair; accidents from roadrage, fatigued drivers, and apathetic pedestrians occur faster than you can say ATL; and metro Atlanta is losing skilled workers (including law enforcement officers) and families who would rather live somewhere else where transportation isn't an eternal hassle.

1 Comments:

  • Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home