Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

Friday, June 16, 2006

458: Eat Well, Do Good


I arrived at 9am wearing the suggested T-shirt, jeans and ballcap (I never wear hats, this is very exciting!). After enduring a volley of staff names and retaining none, my mentor gave me a tour around the pantry and kitchen.

Mike the mentor believes in learning on-the-job after a short overview. Thus, he told me to "go in the back, get an apron, and bake a cake." Yes, ladies and gentlemen, not thirty minutes inside the place and I'm baking a banana cake in a pan (more like a vat). It was terrific fun!


All the specifics: what it is, who they are, what I do!

2 Comments:

  • That sounds like a great job! Are you going to be in the kitchen mostly, or do you get different things to do each time you go? I don't mean to overwhelm you with comments, it's just really good to hear what's going on with you.

    - ginger

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:47 PM  

  • Thanks, I love it!! I'll be in the kitchen mostly during the week, either serving people in the cafe area (which I did today! I'm not an excellent waitress, but I try to smile a lot) or working in the kitchen preparing plates. During the weekends, when customers pay for their meals and thus support the cafe, I'll be serving (taking orders, bringing drinks, etc.) and maybe operating the register (verrry important job, they tell me gravely). It's way fun--I'm working with different volunteers each day from various organizations. However, the head chefs (Sarah, Tommy and Chris) stay the same, Patrick the German kid who's doing this instead of military service works Fridays, and I frequently see the guy whose last name is Friend (he's super-nice, great sense of humor) and this guy named Jason who wants to be my partner for swing-dance lessons. Did I tell you I was taking those at GA Tech?I miss you Ginger!!!! Tell Aya I love her too and am thrilled about updated Phantoms and Slayers. Love, love, love SuzyQ

    By Blogger SuzyQ, at 6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home