Idiot's Guide to Atlanta

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Catching Up



I stood at the entrance to Burberry, exceedingly curious as to what makes their clothes so ridiculously expensive. Is it the make? Is it the fabric? Is it all just hype? When I entered the clerk smiled at me kindly, noting my age, garb, gaping jaw and judging me (rightly) as a less privileged customer than usual. But why not humor me? I went to a nice beige jacket and held the tag between my fingers--What? 95 dollars? I can almost afford that! I thought with surprise.

Then I tilted the tag (you see, the black ink on the black tag hadn't completely caught the light) and saw another digit prior to the 95. Oh. I backed away from the jacket carefully.

I'll catch up; it'll take some getting used to. By it I'm referring to the mix of people (everyone from fellow students to big-time business owners to the man in the Rastafarian cap waving the flag around in the park), the traffic, the commerce and all the other ingredients comprising the city atmosphere.

More to catch up on



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home